Wednesday, March 20, 2013

a Sweet Novel and Chocolate recipe

From the Novel Gringa: A Contradictory Girlhood

By Melissa Hart






Comes a recipe which I end up making over and over again until it might make the novel easily the Heaviest reading I have ever done.  I modified it slightly by warming the milk in the microwave to shorten the stirring time, but seriously this is a book well worth reading even if it didn't include wonderful recipes, but it does.


I only gave a short review of this on Goodreads


 but I have to say that the only things needing said about this book is that it is on my favorite shelf and You should read it.


Spanish Hot Chocolate

Begin with a healthy dose of remorse. Add a quarter cup of unsweetened cocoa and half a cup of white sugar in a saucepan. In a measuring cup stir a tablespoon of cornstarch into a quarter cup of cold water Until it dissolves with your fantasies of a perfect vacation in Madrid. Pour it into the saucepan and stir until the mixture is smooth

Warm over medium heat while warming two cups of milk in the microwave. Slowly pour milk in, allowing yourself to reflect on dead dictators as you gently whisk out lumps. Allow to simmer for awhile until it coats your spoon like pudding. Maybe 10 -20 min as you stir. Serve with humility and a tiny silver spoon


_______________________________________
Yesterday, I tried a quick and easy idea, and it wasn't as good but was still very good and was ready in less than 4 minutes.  I filled my mug 2/3 with cold milk, and took my spoon and loaded it full of cornstarch and dissolved it in the cold milk. Then I microwaved that for 2 minutes, and it came out thick and glossy like meringue.  I just stirred in a packet of hot cocoa mix and it was ready to drink

4 comments:

  1. Dixie--what you did is a lot like the homemade chocolate pudding my Mom used to make. Especially good while still hot, poured over vanilla ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I also tried it once with lemon juice instead of cocoa powder and it was a good hot drink kind of like a lemon cream pie. Sigh! this recipe really doesn't go with the fact that I've started a noexcusesworkouts bootcamp and have been working out for 10 days now and eating healthier, but as long as I don't overdo it is a great reward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anovel with recipes, now that's my cup of tea.
    http://yourhappyhealthblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine Too Elle, Thanks for reading and commenting

    ReplyDelete