Friday, February 17, 2012

Perceptions of Time


When I look around the world it is easy to see that I am not the only one with problems, But I found a great quote
"Understand that most problems are a good sign. Problems indicate that progress is being made, wheels are turning, you are moving toward your goals. Beware when you have no problems. Then you've really got a problem... Problems are like landmarks of progress."
Scott Alexander
I can see the truth in that. If I didn't have a home I was living in and food to eat, I wouldn't worry about house payments, broken water heaters and dirty dishes.


Here we are at Friday, and my school is facing a three day weekend. Jonathan Roche, the incredible personal fitness Guru at NoExcusesWorkouts is always going on about perception and how it changes everything. I started thinking about my perception of time. A three day weekend sounds long and luxurious, but when we have two weeks at Christmas, those last three days seem depressingly short, and when we have no school from mid June until Labor day, those last two weeks feel like I am already out of time!
Summer has a lot of problems built is for teachers and children, too much time sometimes, but no money to make it through on, yet when I am working, then often there are 16 hour days, doing things before and after school, and even with money there is no time to do the things I want.
So yes, I am healthier now, and yes, the 25 secrets Jonathan talks about played a big role in that - but the biggest, most important change is to be able to see the gifts in with the stress. I may be either harried or broke, but I can now appreciate the gift of each day, because his group has trained me to look for the bright side first.




Two months or three days? Irrelevant, I always only have today, and that is enough to get the important things accomplished. Love my family, help a child, read a book, write a book. Be ME.

1 comment: